Author: Prashanti Anderson (page 1 of 2)

PID and Reducing Drag (December 19th – December 24th)

We attempted to improve the speed drop when the ball goes through the flywheel by gearing down the motors. We hoped that the increased torque would create a smaller drop and planned to increase the power to compensate. To gears the motors more for torque, we replaced the high speed gears in the motors with […]

Share this post:

Calibration (December 18th)

Today we are getting ready for tomorrow’s competition. We started by replacing all the flaps on our intake. We then replaced the broken limit switch and we found our intake was lifting the limit switch and bending it. We replaced it with the old less-broken one. We also tried shooting balls with different driver load […]

Share this post:

Northgate (December 12th)

We went to the Northgate competition in Walnut Creek. There were only 26 teams competing. We played 8 matches and won 4. We finished in 11th place and were picked for the 5th seed alliance. We got into the semi finals! We were really excited because we won the Judges Award – our first award […]

Share this post:

Autonomous Challenge (December 5th)

Today we worked on the autonomous skills challenge. We decided to have one speed for the first half of squishy balls and another speed in the last 30 seconds for the hard balls. The conveyor belt turns off in between the two to signal to our coach. We also code for the limit switch to […]

Share this post:

Driving Practice and Strategy (December 1st)

Today we mostly did driving practice. We also added a button to the joystick that makes the robot go straight backwards, because the arcade joystick was not accurate enough to go directly back without drifting. We began to develop a new strategy. If a ball missed the net, instead of adjusting the speed, we instead […]

Share this post:

Flywheel Experiments (November 28th)

Today we tried two different things to make the flywheel more accurate: zip ties and spacing between the wheels. At the competition, we had seen teams using large zip ties on their flywheels. One team said the reason they were using zip ties was because the plastic portion of the wheel (green) flexed outwards when […]

Share this post:

Shafts and the Flywheel (October 20th)

We took out the shaft and found out that one of the shafts was longer than the other (the better side had a shorter shaft). We then cut the shafts to be the same length. In addition, we also took apart the motors and found that the gears were damaged. However, even after replacing the […]

Share this post:

Dougherty Valley (October 17th)

We went to our first official competition of the season! Our robot placed 16th out of 56 teams. Facts: We finished 16th overall We lost the first match 85-123. This was the most competitive match in the first round, and put us below all the other teams that won their first match. We were the […]

Share this post:

High-Strength Gears (October 10th – October 17th)

We had noticed slowing down/complete failure of both sides of the flywheel. We discovered that this was because the inside of the gears were becoming stripped because of the stress placed on them. To try to prevent/alleviate this problem, we replaced the gears with high-strength gears. These have a metal interior, and help prevent damage […]

Share this post:

DVHS Code (October 17th)

Our code for DHVS (Dougherty Valley High School VEX Tournament) underwent last-minute changes. Originally we had planned on using an adjustment algorithm, but it was inconsistent: some days it would work really well and others it would keep on increasing the power and all the balls would overshoot. We had to revert back to old […]

Share this post:
Older posts

© 2018 Renegade Robotics

Theme by Anders NorenUp ↑